Friday, August 31, 2007

So, what do you do?

It’s been rather hot in Los Angeles the last couple days. On Wednesday – or was is Tuesday? – I decided to join my friend, Steve, at the local coffee shop, although I had the air conditioner on in my apartment. We sat outside drinking iced coffees as he did his crossword puzzle and I sat staring at the Scientology Building. Regardless of the heat, it was a beautiful, sunny day.

To our right, a guy named Michael sat down next to us. First off, I have met this man before and do not like him. He rubs me the wrong way and, within a matter of minutes, he had turned to us and asked, “So what do you do?”

I’m getting tired of this question, because it’s usually means someone is trying to gauge your worth. They may preface the question with “What is your name?” or “I see you here a lot. Do you live in the neighborhood?” But usually by the third or fourth question they are asking “What do you do?”

People love to know what you are about in this city. What car you drive. What part of town you live in. What your apartment looks like. How you make your living. What you’re doing in order to make that living. They like to know where you fit in the grand scheme of Hollywood and what you can possibly do for them.

Steve told him he was an actor, but that he was also in production. And then Michael looked to me, through his sunglasses, and asked me what I do. I wanted to slide through my seat and down to the ground, which would hopefully then swallow me up. I wanted to use my backup answer, “I’m getting my Masters at UCLA in the Geopolitical Strategies of the Former USSR in relation to the US and the UK,” but I didn’t. (That usually shuts them up.)

But I mustered up enough courage to say, “I’m a writer” and Steve quickly added “A very good one.” AH! Shhhh! Not in this town! Why didn’t you say you washed dogs for a living!? But it was too late! Michael asked me what type of films I wrote and when it came out that I wrote “Independent Films,” or one might say “European Art House Films,” he sat back in his chair and with a troubled deep breathe, as if the weight of the World had just sunk on his shoulders, exclaimed, “Yeah, I can’t do that.”

Wait a minute! What? Huh? Hold the phone! Did you actually think that over a cup of coffee that somehow we would create a working relationship? HA! Did he actually think I was sitting there with my fingers crossed hoping that he would make all my troubles go away, pick me up and help me carry my little film towards the light of success?

Another lamprey moment happened to me the night after this. I went into Birds to watch the Boston-Yankees game – such pain! I’m a Boston fan – and this guy sat down next to me and, after much prodding and annoying questions by him, I told him that I was a writer and that I was doing a short film. And by the end of the night, the Idiot had asked me to be his writing partner and gave me free reign to steal his ideas. Pardonnez-moi? Простите мне? Excuse me? What!?

You might have realized here that I'm very private about what I do... And perhaps I also have a wee problem with being secure in what it is I do… I know I’m a good writer, but it’s not something I want to shout from the tippy tops of buildings or on street corners or in restaurants so some producer will take note of me… I’m not like that. I want to do this on my own. I want to be left alone. I want to be independent of what Hollywood symbolizes. I want to sail out on my little ship, with my handpicked crew of fabulous, trustworthy “sailors” and do it my way…

Oh, God help me.

6 comments:

Mandalynne said...

oh my god I just laughed so hard. You're too cute.

And last night's game WAS painful --- I was THERE. We stayed until the end when Tek grounded into a double. So, so, so, so, so, so sad. I sat next to two very smelly men, and saw a guy get tackled on the field when he ran out on it; further more, a coach and two fans were ejected. What a crazy night.

ps -- you are an excellent writer.

Mandalynne said...

shoot. I'm talking boston-baltimore. I don't want to talk about the broom.

Raconteur said...

I used to hate that question in LA. Validating your friendship worthiness based on what you do for a living.

worse yet, I found myself guilty of posing it as well. Its like the question you ask when you have nothing else to say.

I remember having a dinner party, very international with a couple of brits, a swede, a few filipinos, a torontonian, and a couple of half brits, and I was very pleased at the end of that evening because I actually noticed that the phrase wasn't uttered once. people were all friends of mine, granted, but they were all genuinely interesting to the point that no one ever ran out of things to say.

Only happened that once, of course....

Anonymous said...

Hey Elena,

Congrats on the new mac! I'm expecting a big update, full of photos taken off that little camera thingy!

:-D

-Miss H.

Anonymous said...

EXCERPT FROM AN INTERVIEW WITH TIM CAHILL, NOTED TRAVEL WRITER AND FOUNDER OF OUTSIDE MAGAZINE
http://www.rolfpotts.com/writers/cahill.php

Q:What is your biggest challenge in the writing process?

A:Thinking about the events and trying to figure out "what it all means." One way to write is to simply chronicle events. This sometimes constitutes a failure of imagination. The events will work themselves into a story if you think about them enough. It is like holding up a prism to the sun: turn it just the right way and a rainbow of light pours through. So, a word of advice: a person's journal is the raw material. A story is made from these events. Use the journal to craft the story. Don't submit a travel journal. Editors routinely toss articles that begin: "December 5, 2003: 'The twin prop jet dropped down into a patchwork quilt of farmlands…'"

ScubaSteve said...

I kicked ass on that crossword too, didn't I!