Sunday, August 19, 2007

a shift in plans

Already things are changing. My friend, Sal, is going to be in Europe at the same time that Heather and I will be there and we plan on meeting up with him in Italy and in Paris.


We’re thinking of staying one more day in London (which would make it four) before heading to Italy (on the 20th.) We had planned on flying into Florence, but we might end up going to Naples and taking a train south to the Amalfi Coast where Sal has found a villa. We would stay there for four days before taking the train up north to Florence or Venice or Trieste for Christmas.




We would really like to spend two or three days in Florence before heading to the south of France. In Paris, Sal, Heather and I are talking about finding an apartment that we can split between the three of us while we see the New Year in!




As for writing during the trip, I am going to get myself a small journal. Moleskin has these great little journals that are made especially for individual cities, which I wish I had had when I was in Prague. They are small and easy to carry; however, I don’t know if I want to carry around three separate books – no matter how small – although it might be a lot of fun to have individual books to bring with me when I return to London or Paris or Florence…

Each city and country is so different from each other that separating journal entries into separate books might be ideal. And each book will allow me to just ramble on in thoughts as we roam through Bloomsbury, walk along the Thames, visit the Tate, and fly into London; as we see the Duomo, view the art in the Galleria Dell’ Accademia, and cross the Arno; as we sit in an Italian villa on the coast; as we ride the trains past the Italian countryside and French towns; as we have coffee in bistros and cafés and dine in restaurants; and sit in parks, walk the cities, drink wine, and mingle with the locals…

And of course, I will have my trusty little camera to document everything I see! (The above photographs were taken in 1996 (Paris and Florence) and 1999 (London.))

No comments: